Brushing Tips For Children
Posted by Unique Kids Pediatric Dentistry on Jan 14 2023, 11:12 PM
Teaching your child to brush their teeth can be a difficult task. When teaching your child to brush, it is important to teach them both the proper brushing techniques as well as the importance of brushing regularly. Brushing your teeth regularly prevents cavities and gum disease, removes plaque, prevents bad breath, and maintains healthy teeth and gums.
Why Children Benefit From A Daily Routine?
When your child brushes their teeth on a daily basis, they prevent plaque from building up on their teeth and gums. Plaque leads to tooth decay and gum disease in children and adults alike. When you brush twice per day, you give your teeth a chance to stay healthy by preventing any tartar buildup on your teeth. Many kids have trouble remembering to brush their teeth, so make it a routine to do so at the same time every day until they get used to it.
If you’ve found that your child struggles to remember to brush their teeth, try setting the alarm on your phone twice a day. This will help them remember when it is time to clean and care for their smile! While it is important to use a soft-bristled toothbrush on your young child’s teeth to avoid damaging or irritating the gums, it is important to do so properly. You want to make sure that they get every surface of their mouth when you clean their teeth so that no food particles remain in the mouth to cause decay later on! If they struggle to spit as they brush, have them rinse with water afterward to get rid of the excess toothpaste residue. If you have questions about how to brush your young child’s teeth, don’t hesitate to ask your dentist for advice during your next appointment!
What Are Some Ways You Can Help Your Child Brush Their Teeth?
- Make it a fun activity! Have a timer set for your child so that they know when it is time to brush and then spit and rinse afterward.
- Let them choose their own toothbrush with kids’ options at stores like Target and Walmart.
- Play their favorite song while they brush so that they are distracted and having fun with the song rather than the feel of the bristles against their cheeks.
- Show them how to use a mouthwash or fluoride treatment by letting them do it on their own from time to time to get them used to it.
- Create a reward system for your child. You could create a chart where he or she receives smiley face stickers every time they brush their teeth. Once a certain amount is reached, they earn something fun like a movie night or a new toy. This teaches them that brushing can be fun and gives them the incentive to do it!
- Choose a toothbrush that is the right size for your child’s mouth. It’s possible that you are using one that is too big and can be uncomfortable for them to use. Ask your dentist about which size would be best for you and your little one!
- Make sure your child is brushing for the full two minutes twice a day. You can monitor this by having them tell you exactly how long they have been brushing. He or she might be surprised at how long they are actually spending doing it!
- Remind them to brush their tongue too. Your child might have a habit of skipping the tongue area entirely or simply sticking the toothbrush in their mouth for a few seconds before spitting it out again. To make sure they don’t miss out on cleaning all surfaces of their teeth, remind them to spend enough time on the tongue as well!
- Toothbrush bristles should be soft, not hard. This is a common mistake many parents make when picking out toothbrushes for their children. Hard bristles can cause gum irritation and discomfort when used for extended periods of time. Try a soft-bristled option instead to avoid these issues!
- Use toothpaste with fluoride in it. Fluoride is a crucial ingredient that can help strengthen and strengthen developing teeth. It also reduces sensitivity in the tooth enamel and prevents cavities from forming in the first place! So keep using this toothpaste even into your older childhood years to keep your teeth healthy!
Unique Kids Pediatric Dentistry is equipped with the latest technologies and modern amenities that enable the best dental care facilities for patients. Call us at (832) 930-7732 and schedule an appointment with the dentist to learn more about the dental services provided at the practice.